Saturday, April 7, 2007

Why am I here?

Such a vast overwhelming question to begin with...so, more specifically, why am I participating in the CSUWP Advanced Institute? Umm... I like research. I like teaching. I like participating in Writing Project events. It seems like the AI is going to mix all those things together -- just like a yummy margarita. Oh, and that little extra special squeeze of lime that makes a margarita supremo -- is that two of my writing group gals are also participating.

What will I focus on?
The simple research question: How do online forums change student workshop comments?

The more detailed, round-about, query I have comes from the College Research class I currently teach. This is my first year teaching this class at the high school level, but I've taught the first level writing class at CSU. There I learned how to use Syllabase: an online forum where students could post their writing, as well as view and comment on each others' writing. I currently have an online component for my high school students to use, thanks to Bud the Teacher. Students have posted homework assignments so we may create a paperless assignment. We have also used the forum to comment on the writing that students post. I have found that my comments were more extensive than the students -- not a huge surprise, but I also noticed that some students offered minimal comments.

Again, I wasn't terribly shocked, but I'm still curious how I can get students to offer constructive, critical, and valuable comments to their peers? Does an online component merely reflect what we see in the classroom when we attempt to set up writing workshops? (Some students offer minimal comments that are not helpful; some offer constructive comments, yet their peers don't take any advice offered; still others are completely off task and are dysfunctional as a group?) Some how I thought that an online piece would hold students more accountable since I am able to view their comments as is the entire class. Not true. Maybe I need to explain the expectations yet again? Maybe I need to allow them to respond to their choice of peers? Maybe I need to provide more structure? Less structure? Maybe it's completely impossible to expect that high school students lack the objectivity to comment on their peers' writing?

I really don't believe that last comment, yet I do know that it is difficult to set up autonomous writing groups in a classroom environment. But, it has happened in the past. Even in my College Research class! And online! I guess I really want to know how to help students use online forums to improve their writing? In a few weeks, students will be posting their rough drafts. I'm contemplating how I should set up the online forum to see the most productive results. I'm also curious if I should survey my students about their experience with writing workshops in general and then ask them about their online experience.

What do I hope to get out of the Advanced Institute?
I hope to get lots of answers and lots of ideas. I'm also hoping to expand the synapses in my brain (see AI: The Beginning!).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, not your blogging buddy so don't expect much here - but this is my second visit and I haven't seen any comments yet so I wanted to put in my two cents worth.

I'm envious that you have clarified your research question so well. Seems like you know exactly what you expect to do - good for you! As far as the question about the general survey about writing groups or just the online stuff my two cents says (and bear in mind this is only worth two cents!) is the shorter the survey the better your participation will be. Perhaps offer the second survey as optional so you have a good chance of getting feedback, but the first survey will give you what you really need.

Take this for what it's worth - two cents! It's just my jealousy speaking.

Bud Hunt said...

Stacey,

Your blog is off to a great start. I like how you both provide context for your question while writing in an entertaining and friendly style/voice.
Like I said, a good start.
Your question is one that's wicked important -- and it's one that I have, too. I wonder if it might be useful to ask your students about the type of feedback they like to receive versus the type of feedback that they give.

My hunch is that they want one thing -- but are giving their classmates another. Would sharing that gulf with the class (assuming there is one) help them to improve the quality of information that they're sharing with their classmates?
Clearly, like you, I believe that high school students can do this.

Good luck -- teach me more.

respo said...

I think Bud's comment is insightful for all writing workshop theories. They want one thing, but give another. I wonder if examples fo this would help to encourage better responses?

I am curious to see what you come up with - I would have thought the computer usage would encourage some. You seem to think differently.

smb said...

I have blogging buddies! :) Yeah!

Thanks for the input. You all offer insights that I had not thought of. I'd really like to have a survey for my students --by Friday of this week! Is this possible? Hmmm... I think I just gave myself some homework tonight.

I really like the idea of asking students what kind of feedback they'd like to receive as opposed to the type of feedback they give.

Much to ponder...

smb said...

I created a first draft of a survey I'd like to give to my seniors -- yes, those crazy kids counting down their last high school days. I've emailed a copy o folks. If you can comment (soon!), I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!