Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Survey says...

That kids are schizophrenic when it comes to writing groups! :) More time, less time, face-to-face, online, require more of us, require less of us! Ahck! I guess it just proved what we all know: you can't please all of the people all of the time. Yet, I guess I thought that 20 small town high school seniors would at least have some common thoughts about writing groups.


I went back and re-read the comments and did realize that two main ideas were the same: the qualities a successful group should have, and the types of qualites they wanted from their peers. I was impressed that they at least knew what they wanted, yet I was still puzzled as to why they didn't exptect that from themselves. I decided that I wanted to have a class discussion about writing groups.


Today, I did just that. I brought in the tape recorder and had about a 20 minute conversation focused around the following six questions:


  • If you know the qualities of a successful writing group, and you know the types of comments that are most helpful, why don't you give the types of comments you desire?

  • Would requiring a certain number or length of comments help? If so, what would you suggest?

  • Would you prefer assigned groups or your choice of groups? [Yes, we all know the answer, so I then asked, how can "messing around" be avoided?]

  • Would you prefer if I offered a handful if questions to help guide you as you workshop a paper? If so, what and why?

  • How do you identify a problem within a peer's paper? How do you offer "constructive criticism"?

  • What problems do you address first? Why?

Before I started recording, I discussed with them my personal experiences with writing groups -- from nill in high school, to mediocrity in college, to above average in grad school, and sheer brilliance with CSUWP! (That's my awesome writing group below!)

I pondered with the students was it me? Was I unable to give and receive helpful workshop comments in high school? Did I lack the objectivity to do so? Honestly, I'm sure I had something to do with it, but I also know I never had a teacher offer me helpful comments along the way either. Yet, that's a different story! I also verbally previewed the questions that I had for them. I thought about springing them on 'em, but I wanted them to think about the questions a bit more than a gut reaction.


Overall, the students were honest with me. They brought up laziness within themselves, trust issues with their peers and their own ability to decide what is a "good" suggestion [one that will win then points with the teacher] versus one that is a "bad" suggestion [one that will loose them points with the teacher], selfishness [spending time on their peer's paper took away time from working on their own paper]. It will be interesting to transcribe the tape. At the very least, I'm very curious how their comments will vary this time as opposed to the first time.


I also noticed my research question has pulled back to include more about writing groups in general rather than simply the online component. Ahhh, research...


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stacey - you have become a researching animal! You're excitment is contagious and I now want to dig into my own data and see what I've got - if I just didn't have that darn school stuff getting in the way. I love watching this evolution.

I also feel the need to blog something that connects with an image, after all I'd hate to be outdone :).

What was most interesting about what I read was the way that the data is driving the research. I have a feeling this will be happening to me as well. By the way, the content drives the image in art and I know my artwork takes on a life of it's own as it evolves. Perhaps all creative ventures are the same in that realm. We need to conceive them and give them birth, but then like children they get a mind of their own and careen forward of their own volition!

JC Clarke said...

I had a similar experience with writing groups. I was a creative writing major in undergrad and I can tell you that I had some absolutely miserable experiences with them (and some decent ones too)--mediocrity is probably the best word to describe it, as you say.

I have to admit that when I became a teacher I tried to do writing groups and have now completely given up on them for high schoolers. We do some peer review, but nothing like the magic that happens at CSUWP (my writing group can beat up your writing group! ;-) Sorry, inside joke from the class of '06.

What a great idea to have this discussion in your class, I sincerely hope you find some consistently reliable methods to share with us; I'd love to try writing groups again next year if I can find a new way to approach them.

Bud Hunt said...

I think you're doing a great job of involving your students in your process -- very, very cool. I'm also interested in how your question has broadened outside of your original "online writing groups" question. I think that the skill set of a successful writing group may or may not hinge on the technological components. I'd wonder if a successful offline group shares characteristics with a successful online one, and what changes when you go online, and what stays the same.
I'm also intrigued by the visual element that Natalie's talking about. How does adding a visual like a picture change the feel of your blog? Does it? (My hunch, confirmed by Natalie, is that it does.)

JC Clarke said...

I think that visual elements are really important, this has started me thinking about what I can add to my own blogs to integrate that visual element. It makes it look much more professional, and interesting, in my opinion.

Cindy O-A said...

I love how you're taking this back to the kids! You should read Renee's (respos) latest entry. I think you guys are on the same track.

Cool pic, too, btw.

respo said...

I have to agree with Cindy, I think we are on the same track. I just had a few huge discussions with my students about what works and what doesn't. You inspire me to find the time to go through my data - unfortunately I think it mihgt be summer before I get to do that.

It is interesting to me how your questions is evolving, mine is too. I just posted on my chapter and commented on how BIG her question seemed - after reading your blog and seeing my own research grow, I guess it is just the nature of the beast.

Now I am going to the library to get a digital camera so I can take pictures of my kids!!!

camdaram said...

When I started this school year, I put students into writing groups by my choosing, weighing CSAP scores and personality to get good variety in the groups. They were good, but only good. They got better when half way through the year I let them choose their own writing groups.
I love your data collection process and hwo you're going about this. You've already given me new ideas for next year and how to get them more involved in the process. You rock!