Tuesday, September 4, 2007

To quote Sandra Cisneros...

I'm not dead; I was in New Braunsfels.

Ok, well I wasn't in New Braunsfels -- which think she means New Braunfels which is in Texas, but I'm only guessing. I've really just been absorbed in the day-to-day job we all have and enjoy so much that we become obsessive about getting everything going. While the beginning of the school year is exciting, it also poses some challenges: every class needs everything -- rules, procedures, copies, books. Agh! It can be a bit overwhelming. Such is our job.

However, in my Slackerville state--or daydreaming according to Joyce Carol Oats -- I have not forgotten about my data. Yes, I still need to finish compiling the data from last spring (I only have six more papers to go through. I mean seriously, what am I talking about? An hour tops! I think this goes into the slacker column, but I really do appreciate everyone's support. The next SA [Slackers Anonymous] meeting will meet at my house!)

However, I have two classes of creative writing this semester, and I've done a few things different with my writing groups. First, I sent out permission to quote slips! :) I still had students write about their writing group experience as well as categorize their writing [if your writing were a color, what would it be and why? type of questions], do "speed dating" according to writing characteristics, three sets of possible writing group.

But I think the most powerful thing has been having them define norms for their perfect writing group situation and have them share with potential writing groups. I asked questions such as how will you handle unprepared writers? heavy critical participants? sugary sweet comments with no substance? what about hurt feelings? I’m allowing them to test each other out. Tomorrow I'm telling them their final assignments.

I also discussed with them the scale of writing groups: dysfunction junction, semi-autonomous, and autonomous. Not only did I scare them with big words, :) but I also informed them of the two things already working against them: it's still school, and the mix of students. I'm hoping my conversation will help them take ownership of the group.

Since students aren't in set groups yet, I'm still mulling over the whole idea of past experiences that the writer brings to the group and how that influences constructive criticism. I'm waiting to see who surfaces as the shining stars of writing groups then I'll dig back in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa - welcome back! You're always such a great addition and I love what you're working on. So MANY good questions - can't wait to hear an update. I love that students are always at the core of every single part of your question. I'm excited to put on our little glasses, embrace our geeky persona and share some quality time comparing data in the not too distant future.

One a lighter note - just tell me what to bring to Slackerville Station - although I'm on track with my research, my creative juices seem to be undergoing a serious dry spell.