Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Abstract

Writing groups have been my focus since I was in grad school. While I didn't intend to focus on them again during AI, it appears as though I'm consumed by them. Maybe my lack of writing group experience in school drives my quest to figure out what makes them work? how come some kids get in and others don't, why is there always one dysfunction junction group? why doesn't it bother me when that group (dysfunction) emerges?

While I use writing groups in my ninth grade classes, my focus is on my college research class. Although I plan on taking some version of what I learn into all of my class. College Research is a senior level weighted class (a 4.5 scale rather than a 4.0) offered in the semester. In all honesty, the past group was not comprised of the top writers in their class; however, they were a group of students who want to become better writers. I just realized an assumption: some of those students within that class could have been taking it just to receive the English credit they needed to graduate or because their parents told them to take it. Hmm...

The class is intended to prepare students for the type of writing they will be expected to complete as they begin their post-secondary career. Having taught the first year writing course at Colorado State University, I modeled the high school class after it. Students were expected to become familiar with the local university library databases, evaluate texts, synthesis and analyze material, and write an argument beyond a pro/con debate.

I've moved away from examining the online component [Moodle] I required students to use since I really didn't notice much difference in the types of comments students were providing: they were superficial either way. I'm trying to create an autonomous writing group experience in a teacher-driven setting. Yes, contradictory; impossible, no. I've seen it happen, and I know you have too.


* How do we create that environment where students offer the types of comments they want to receive from their peers?
* Has anyone read anything in depth about connecting life experiences and writing group commentary?
* What ideas do you have to help students a) recognize something where they are both learners and teachers? And b) how can I connect those two ideas? [a survey was mentioned -- ideas for questions?]
* How do you help students provide the types of comments that are helpful to writing group participants?
* What helped you provide quality constructive feedback to your writing groups? Experiences? Teachers? Activities? [Maybe reply to this question rather than discussing it during Researcher's Chair?]

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Stacey,

I want to know the answer to all of your questions! In fact, I feel as though I only have more questions to ask rather than answers to offer. If this is annoying, just ignore me.

You ask: "How do we create that environment where students offer the types of comments they want to receive from their peers?" One of the issues I've come to realize that pops up with some students is that they do not want feedback from their peers and as a result do not always take the endeavor seriously. What do you do to help students recognize the value of writing in a social setting? How do you help those reluctant to participate see the value not only for their peers, but for them as a writer?

"Has anyone read anything in depth about connecting life experiences and writing group commentary?" This suggestion may seem pointless/off-base/crazy, but Lev Vygotsky keeps popping into my head as I ponder your research. I know he didn't write specifically about writing group commentary, but his work about language acquisition seems relevant to me here.

"What ideas do you have to help students a) recognize something where they are both learners and teachers?" Today you mentioned asking students to think of an activity they enjoy doing. What a perfect starting point, as they should be able to describe how they learned to do that activity and could describe who taught it to them and how they have shared that activity with others. This seems like a great writing prompt to use to introduce writing groups and the idea that they all have expertise to share.

Those are my quick/random ideas for now. I will keep mulling over your questions.

respo said...

Me too! I want all of the answers too. Ummm, could you get on that right away Stacey? Haha.

I wanted to respond to some of your "green". First, some questions off the top of my head would be 1. Have you ever had and exerience where you were a leader? Explain. 2. Have you ever had an experience as a follower? Explain. -- of course you would want more, but I think that is what you are getting at???

Second. You talked about getting better responses. I really want to share my writing circles idea with you. It would be great if we could collaborate and build on the idea throughout the Eaton secondary experience.

Anonymous said...

Already some excellent feedback! What a great idea to pair with Renee and articulate the writing circle curriculum so that students have already jumped some major hurdles before you even get them.

Rebecca makes an excellent point about the peer feedback. Perhaps you need to articulate to student the WHY in giving peer feedback. Maybe they need to buy into why this is a good idea. Another great idea on the developing a writing prompt that will elicit a response giving you an indication of thier maturity. Maybe asking them to explain an area in which they are an "expert." The hope being that in their explanation their words will garner some insightful reflection - writing that is NOT for publication but for the teacher only?