Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Polka Dots

If my research were a color, it would be green, purple and blue polka-dotted. That seemed to be the theme yesterday for me! It seems like I have clusters of research and data, but I’m not quite sure how to connect all the dots together to form a coherent picture. I feel like I know what I want to say, but I’m not sure how to get there. I have a starting point and an ending point, but the middle isn’t there yet.

Starting point: methods I’ve used to help students with commenting [script, stars and wishes, examples of helpful comments, fishbowl, discussing the type of quality comments that are most helpful, distinguishing between editing and revision, looking at global concerns and local concerns]

realizing students were not offering quality comments –helpful comments
thinking at an online forum would help
realizing that it didn’t
class survey
individual student interview
realizing that students need to connect writing group comments with a prior learning/teaching experience

is that true?
how to get students to make that connection?
questions – what is something you enjoy doing?
is that “something” require you to practice, practice, practice
what have you learned through that practice?
partner interview?
class survey?
live experience affects how students approach writing groups

No comments: