Friday, June 1, 2007

Destination Unknown

June...one of the three real reasons people think we teach! :) I don't know about everyone else, but summer never really seems as relaxing as I would like it to be. There are always so many things to do! Write curriculum, develop a course, expand a unit, take a class, read a million things not only for school but also for pleasure, jet to foreign and exotic locations, oh! and relax! :o)

As far as my research is concerned, I've gathered what I hope is enough data -- I wonder if you can really ever have enough? At the very least, I have data that I can analyze during the AI: online forum workshop comments, survey, interview, final papers which are to contain comments from peers. I also have requested a few books which focus on revision.

Oh, I also wrote up quite a bit from the interview I was gushing about in the former post. It's pretty much my throw up and clean up writing process. Funny, I thought I moved beyond that stage, but there was simply too much information in my brain. It's empty now! I haven't looked at it since I wrote it.

I don't really know what to do next. Honestly, I'd like to wait to do the next thing until we actually start the AI. Even as I type this I know how much that sounds like slackerville; however, I'm off to a foreign and exotic location.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - email me the mapquest directions so I can join you in slackerville, because YOUR slackerville location looks SO much better than mine :)

I'm not sure any of us get too far past the throw-up and clean-up stage. And I'm not sure we should. The whole idea of the phrase brings me home to the porcelain throne - which seems a humbling, basic and necessary reality check! You do a fine job with TU&CL. As the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I like the idea of gathering data and then having to set it aside for whatever reason. Setting-aside time is kind of like the stewing that is so important in my house for really rich spaghetti sauce. Mulling around with these ideas is essential for proper reflection - and after all I've decided this is all about reflection.

Can't wait until we all get togehter. I hope Cindy is scheduling lots of discussion time!

Jason Clarke said...

I'm ignoring my data right now. I felt pretty good about getting an explanation of my process up on my blog, so now I'm just focusing on the rest of my life until AI begins. I hope that's OK, because it sounds like that's what most of us are doing.

I agree with you that summer is never as relaxing as it seems like it should be. Part of it is probably the fact that I have two young kids, and I always take on too much over the summer (This year it's the AI, AP training, the district 9th grade transition committee, 2 more freelance articles that don't seem to be writing themselves as I hoped they would, continuing work on my new book, trying to promote my old book, camping, traveling, seeing friends, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera).

Thanks for giving me a spot here in the blogosphere to vent, I feel better already. I hope your exotic locale was/is everything you hoped it would be. See you soon.